Search Active Topics Members Register

Ogasaka Triun GS 180cm (Japan) 2005 model

A somewhat dated review, but probably interesting for some of those who don't know the Ogasaka brand: This was from an [ original post at EpicSki ], reproduced here since I wrote it back in 2004.

Ogasaka Triun GS 180cm (2005)
Snow Conditions Used In:
Hard, early morning Eastern spring conditions ...0-1cm light granular sugar on top of hard-"leave no tracks" base groomed the night before...
Number of Days Used: 1
Your Ability: Expert - Masters Racer Type - Race Coach
How Many Years Have You Been Skiing: 42
Avg. Days per Year Skiing: 30
Other Skis You Like: Nordica World Cup Race-Stock K-series..11,12, doberman.. GS
Your Height/Weight: 5'10" 175lbs.

Comments:
The Ogasaka Triun GS
..180cm 21m Radius 103x66x93..
Is a real, racers-only GS ski. The demo I tried had their riser-plate under the Look demo bindings. I found, as expected with a real GS race board, that the ski was somewhat unresponsive, a little "skiddy" and dull at slow speeds, but once you got up over about 20+mph, and put some hip into it, the Triun GS came alive and became very, very quick and tracked on rails, especially happy with a little bit of tail pressure at the last 1/3 of the turn. It took about 6 turns to find its sweet spot and weighting preference. Damp without feeling heavy, very secure, no vibration, very, very fast and predictable...an excellent choice for racers. Quick edge-to-edge with nice transitions under pressure. Not for tourists. The Triun GS is indeed an FIS giant slalom device. It is truly only happy when pushed into race mode and treated like the ski it was designed to be. It does not require super-human strength to make it work (nice), just a solid technique and focus, as it should. Excellent performance, with no hint of nervousness at race speeds the patrolers would pull your ticket for enjoying ...

The fit and finish of the ski is superb. Some of the best workmanship I have seen in a ski. They came with what looked to be maybe a few runs on them...so they were brand new. This is the real deal. Any GS racers should check this ski out and see if it's behavior suits your style. I personally like the heavy feel of the Nordica GS race ski a little better for my style, but the Ogasaka Triun GS is quicker edge-to-edge and probably would deliver a faster elapsed time in a turny GS course, and not tire you out as much after a full day of playing GS racer all over the mountain. Has a traditional wood-core feel to it..none of the "plastic" ski feel of some skis out there...Very, very nice ski. Try it.

http://www.ogasakaski.com

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2007 7:20:13 AM

SkiPress had a review of the 2005 GS model at: 2005 SkiPress Test

Quotes:

"Light testers were flat-out flabbergasted by the way Ogasaka’s Triuns ski — they’re fast, flexi- ble and efficient. Men’s Triun and women’s Triun Light are more elastic than most, which brute-force racers said works against them. But lighterweights who race with finesse declared these boards highly responsive. Swore their edges glue you to the snow. The Triun is supple at the tip, stiffer through its rear end. And the Triun Light is stable yet quick, lively and practically weightless."

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Saturday, June 2, 2007 7:48:47 AM

ExoticSkis.com
No Ski Ads.
No Affiliate Marketing.

Several companies provide discounts or donations to support our ski testing program.

We can choose any poles. We choose Leki. They never fail & last for years.

Boots are the most critical element when testing ski behavior. We can choose any boots. We choose Dalbello and Salomon.

Distinctive team outerwear.

Halti is our choice to stay dry and warm when testing in Nor'Easter storms.

Green Ice Wax is our choice for non-fluoro, eco-friendly waxes.
Smith is our choice for head and eye protection.

Northern Ski Works is our choice for shop work and bootfitting.
HELP SUPPORT
EXOTICSKIS.COM