Ph: 619-876-5060
Fx: 619-798-3547
http://www.klintsnow.com

Suggested Retail Price (MSRP):

$490 usd

Usage Class:

Frontside Intermediate to Advanced Carving

Rating (with comments):

(1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

9-10 for its intended audience

Summary:

[Not tested in bumps, soft or variable snow, so this test is incomplete.] The KLIИT Karver II is intended for intermediate to advanced intermediate frontside carving and exceeds its intended performance envelope really well.  A true high-end carving geometry softened enough for lightweight skiers or intermediates looking to up their game on the groomers, while keeping experts happy at less than mach 9 speeds. Excellent build quality. Great price-to-performance value.

Technical Ski Data:

Traditionally cambered, vertical laminate birch hardwood core , fiberglass, UHMW sintered base, slanted ABS sidewalls. Manufactured by one of the most experienced ski facilities in the World.

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Top-shelf fit, finish and materials, moderate response to hand flexing, snappy feel. very good torsional rigidity. Clean looking graphics. Lightweight, thin profile. The hardwood core should provide a very long lifespan for this ski.

Test Conditions:

This initial report is the result of two runs on hardpack, ice, frozen granular and hardpack chalky groomer surfaces at a multi-day demo event in Vermont. Terrain was intermediate-level only, so this initial review should be taken with a couple grains of salt. I hope to get back out on this ski on steeper and softer terrain.

Test Results:

According to the catalog, the Karver II is intended for "...the progressive skier looking to cruise and make longer radius turns". I skied this model in a relatively short 167cm slalom-sized version for my size, and immediately found it to be really turny and instantly responsive like a slalom carver in my first few turns across the boilerplate and hardpack.  Turning up the speed a notch found it to hold a really nice shape across different surfaces with a degree of communication underfoot that would embarass more expensive skis.  The Karver II seemed to be a slalom carver that held GS-like turns really, really well.  I found myself grinning more and more every turn I made with it.  I tried to believe this was a mid-range ski, but everything I did with the ski (short choppy turns, skids, GS turns, SL turns, changed-radii turns, jams, etc.) seemed to indicate it is a top-shelf ski at a bargain price.  The snappy response and grip underfoot was well above its intended category and put plenty of higher-end skis to shame.  The short size I was on definitely got a bit nervous with my nearly 6-foot frame at higher speeds, but the Karver II had a nicely balanced degree of dampening and response that never made me cautious or hesitant.  I was blown away by the way this ski could grip and carve at low or high pressures and keep its integrity and directional prowess.  The demo pair I tried had a bit of grabby tune in the forebody, so I had to adjust my feel a bit, but it had remarkable authority on hardpack, with a really fun turn shape I would recommend to anyone.  In short, this ski performs way above its station and should definitely be on someone's demo list.

Analogies: (this ski is like...)

A hot-rod in sheep's clothing.  A pocket rocket.

Things I Would Change About This Ski:

Perhaps just a little bit of VDS dampening or kevlar to add a touch more dampening.

Short Answer When Someone Asks "What Do You Think About This Ski?":

This is a state-of-the-art carving tool at a bargain-basement price, as long as you don't expect a race-ski's dampness at higher speeds.

Advice To People Considering This Ski:

Buy a spare pair at this price and keep them for another season.

Self-Description of Skiing Style, Ability, Experience, Preferences:

5' 11", 180 lbs. 52 year-old expert, "old-style" race inspired, "foot steerer" with fairly sensitive edging feel. Loves to hold long arcs with lots of pressure on the downhill ski (you know the type),  but also loves the feel of both skis on-edge leaving tiny railroad track edge tracks.  Loves powder when it's not tracked out. Trees and odd terrain angles are fun.

Pics:
(click images for larger versions)

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2012 7:28:49 PM

ExoticSkis.com
No Ski Ads.
No Affiliate Marketing.

Several companies provide discounts or donations to support our ski testing program.

We can choose any poles. We choose Leki. They never fail & last for years.

Boots are the most critical element when testing ski behavior. We can choose any boots. We choose Dalbello and Salomon.

Distinctive team outerwear.

Halti is our choice to stay dry and warm when testing in Nor'Easter storms.

Green Ice Wax is our choice for non-fluoro, eco-friendly waxes.
Smith is our choice for head and eye protection.

Northern Ski Works is our choice for shop work and bootfitting.
HELP SUPPORT
EXOTICSKIS.COM