Ph: 619-876-5060
Fx: 619-798-3547
http://www.klintsnow.com

Suggested Retail Price (MSRP):

$690 usd

Usage Class:

All Mountain

Rating (with comments):

(1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

Summary:

[Not tested in bumps, soft or variable snow, so this test is incomplete.] The KLIИT Fringe is a strong all-mountain design with a bias toward higher-speed turns on groomed surfaces.  Sort of a detuned GS ski with all-mountain manners, but retaining its firm personality. The Fringe likes to get up to cruising speed first, then it kicks-in with impressive grip (especially from the center body to the tail) and top-shelf, quiet, controlled ride.  Rewards a technical skier's touch and athletic drive with above-normal power and confident grip without being too burly.  Prefers medium-to-larger radius turns. Feels like it would cut through crud without deflecting from its line. More impressive the faster you ski it. A high-quality, strong cruiser with lots of confidence and composure underfoot.I agree with George Couperthwait who thinks the Fringe is a classic Eastern U.S. cruiser. Excellent ride with high-quality construction.

Technical Ski Data:

Traditionally cambered, vertical laminate birch hardwood core, fiberglass, UHMW sintered base, slanted sidewalls.  This model incorporates their "Reflection Applied Concept" which means they proportionally scale the geometry of the ski for each length, so the tip, waist and tail dimensions vary between sizes to produce the same relative personality traits among the different length skis. Manufactured by one of the most experienced ski facilities in the World.

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Top-shelf fit, finish and materials, strong, but not snappy rebound response to hand flexing. Strong torsional rigidity, strong feel, a substantial ski. Slightly retro look (reminds me of a Chevy Camaro), but clean looking. Conservative geometry, moderate camber. The hardwood core should provide a very long lifespan for this ski.

Test Conditions:

This initial report is the result of two runs on hardpack, ice, frozen granular and hardpack chalky groomer surfaces at a multi-day demo event in Vermont. Terrain was intermediate-level only, so this initial review should be taken with a couple grains of salt. I hope to get back out on this ski on steeper terrain.

Test Results:

The KLIИT Fringe immediately gave me the impression of a classic, detuned GS ski, but with more all-purpose personality in a chassis undeniably biased toward moderate to higher cruising speeds. It felt very "classic" in a way, but not outdated.  It cut across my test patches of boilerplate and hardpack with authority and confidence, rewarding me more if I skied it with some gusto and athletic inputs.  This ski reminds me of a ski ex-racers-turned-instructors might like, or for those who like outrunning ski patrols early in the morning.  Definitely a sporty, precision cruiser with no hint of fluffy behavior.  I came away feeling the Fringe would not be a ski for the terminal intermediate, but for a strong or heavier advanced intermediate looking to up their game.  KLIИT touts the Fringe as an versatile, all-mountain ski, even for "...the adventurer who hasn't mastered the whole mountain."  I think the Fringe might be a bit strong for someone who has not mastered the whole mountain, unless you want a ski to challenge your skills a bit in unfamiliar territory.  I did not ski the Fringe in "all-mountain" conditions, so I can't talk about its handling in crud, fluff or bumps. Hopefully we can get out on the Fringe in softer snow this season and see how it behaves in "all mountain" conditions with crud, bumps, fluff and sluff.

Analogies: (this ski is like...)

A  classic hot-rod car (not state-of-the-art handling or design, but really effective in its element). A well-executed, clean, classic design that never goes out of style and can make lots of enthusiasts happy.

Things I Would Change About This Ski:

Perhaps make its geometry a little more curvy and modern as a frontside all-around ski, and perhaps soften it slightly to make it appeal to a wider audience.  Keep the GS-carving feel for those who feel the White Noise model is somewhat too soft for their rowdier style or heavier weight.

Short Answer When Someone Asks "What Do You Think About This Ski?":

This is a classic frontside design with excellent grip at speed, but more for higher-speed cruising than ricochet-rabbit turn-turn-turn styles.  Best if you are athletic or a heavier skier.  Excellent arcs at speed. Classic-looking graphics.

Advice To People Considering This Ski:

Definitely try this ski if you higher-speed cruising all over the mountain and want a frontside bias since it's only 86mm underfoot.  More GS than SL turn shape.

Self-Description of Skiing Style, Ability, Experience, Preferences:

5' 11", 180 lbs. 52 year-old expert, "old-style" race inspired, "foot steerer" with fairly sensitive edging feel. Loves to hold long arcs with lots of pressure on the downhill ski (you know the type),  but also loves the feel of both skis on-edge leaving tiny railroad track edge tracks.  Loves powder when it's not tracked out. Trees and odd terrain angles are fun.

Pics:
(click images for larger versions)

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Saturday, February 18, 2012 3:14:56 PM

ExoticSkis.com
No Ski Ads.
No Affiliate Marketing.

Several companies provide discounts or donations to support our ski testing program.

We can choose any poles. We choose Leki. They never fail & last for years.

Boots are the most critical element when testing ski behavior. We can choose any boots. We choose Dalbello and Salomon.

Distinctive team outerwear.

Halti is our choice to stay dry and warm when testing in Nor'Easter storms.

Green Ice Wax is our choice for non-fluoro, eco-friendly waxes.
Smith is our choice for head and eye protection.

Northern Ski Works is our choice for shop work and bootfitting.
HELP SUPPORT
EXOTICSKIS.COM