Tel.
(952) 476-7849
Fax (952) 476-7845
http://www.hartskis.com

Suggested Retail Price (MSRP):

$1,049

Usage Class:

All Mountain Carving

Your Rating (with comments): (1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

8+ to 9

Summary:

Fantastic frontside carving ski. More racy and oriented toward hardpack groomers than the Fuelie Stage1 (Phoenix has a 10mm narrower waist), with more dampening and great grippy ride.  Near race-ski grip but with much less effort required.  Strangely identical in construction and feel as the Spoilt RaceCarve from Italy (which I really love).  Me thinks these are made by the same hands in the same factory.  Smooth operator capable of running gates if you wanted, but happy to cruise easily or lay down serious carving trenches on demand.

Technical Ski Data:

Wood core, fiberglass, Titanal and rolled steel metal sandwich construction with rubber dampening layer. Melamine sidewalls, Graphite bases, aluminum tip and tail components.  Hand made in small batches.

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Very nice quality, excellent finish, glossy topsheet (to be textured in production next year?). Damp, "it has metal" flex and rebound with smooth feeling pattern. Cool color scheme.

Test Conditions:

Cold, dry packed powder conditions, perfect combination of packed groomers and some cut-up fresh stuff (only a few inches) on the side of some trails. Some broken-up crust plate garbage and granular junk and hardpack on some trails.

Test Results:

The Phoenix has that feel at slow speeds in your first runs that says "just wait until you get me moving." The grip becomes stronger and deeper as you roll this ski up onto its edge and retains a really fun, smooth feel as you increase speed.  The more you put in, the more it gives back.  Really well controlled at any speeds, with an urge to put it into a high edge angle and lay down some tracks under any pressure you want.  If you like race-like grip without race-like effort, the Phoenix is a great choice.  The dampening of this ski (probably due to the metal) makes it super quiet on the snow with great torsional strength.  The soft longitudinal flex makes it easy to start your turns and actually go off-piste without any protest.  The narrow waist will sink, for sure, but the forebody comes up nicely and behaves just fine off the beaten path.  Very versatile, but it really comes alive on the groomers.  Great round turns of different radii are easy to make with this ski (just like its Spoilt racecarve sibling). More damp and racy-feeling than the Fuelie Stage 1, and not as good off-piste.  If you haunt the groomers, the Phoenix is the "cheater GS" ski you might be hunting for.

Analogies: (this ski is like...)

Alfa Romeo - stylish, high-performance turns putting most other vehicles to shame. Not a pure racer, but has the heart of a thoroughbred and elegance in the way it handles.

After Skiing These, I Want To...

Try the other sizes and keep them all for a season.

Self-Description of Skiing Style, Ability, Experience, Preferences:

Expert groomed-surface carver, "old-style" race inspired, "foot steerer" with fairly sensitive edging feel. Loves to hold long arcs with lots of pressure on the downhill ski (you know the type),  but also loves the feel of both skis on-edge leaving tiny railroad track edge tracks. Not an instructor, but 10 year coach for youth race team in New England (bulletproof is the norm).

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Saturday, March 1, 2008 8:58:45 AM

Hart Attack
(110-63-95) 16.8m radius @ 152cm
(110-63-95) 17.0m radius @ 158cm
(
110-63-95) 19.6m radius @ 166cm
(
110-63-95) 20.4m radius @ 173cm
(
110-63-95) 21.7m radius @ 178cm

2008-2009

[click here for larger picture]

Manufacturer Info:

Hart Ski Corporation
641 E. Lake Street, Suite 225
Wayzata, MN 55391
Tel.
(952) 476-7849
Fax (952) 476-7845
http://www.hartskis.com

Suggested Retail Price (MSRP):

$1,049

Usage Class:

Groomer Carving - Slalom "cheater"

Your Rating (with comments):
(1="get me off these things"->10="I have to own a pair")

8+ to 9

Summary:

Classic "slalom cheater" frontside carving ski that craves groomed slopes and cuts a race-ski line without race-ski user input.  Think of the Javelin SL detuned for more fun than work, and you've got the Hart Attack.  Narrow and quick with more forgiving manners than the pure SL race ski.  Wicked fun for hardpack antics.  Impressively stable for a short-turn, narrow waisted ski, but watch yourself at high speeds on the short lengths.  This could be a great ski for the hardpack when you don't want a racing ski but want the jack-rabbit turns.

Technical Ski Data:

Wood core, fiberglass, Titanal and rolled steel metal sandwich construction with rubber dampening layer. Melamine sidewalls, graphite bases, aluminum tip and tail components.  Hand made in small batches.

Pre-Skiing Impression:

Very nice quality, excellent finish, glossy topsheet. Snappy, mischevious flex with good dampening to keep it calm. Very nostalgic stars & stripes graphics that really kinda grow on you when you have the skis on your feet.

Test Conditions:

Cold, dry packed powder conditions, perfect combination of packed groomers and some cut-up fresh stuff (only a few inches) on the side of some trails. Some broken-up crust plate garbage and granular junk and hardpack on some trails.

Test Results:

While the Javelin SL is business...the Hart Attack is really about fun and games on the hardpack.  Not tiring to ski, but as rowdy and zippy as you want it to be.  Quick as a flash when changing directions, but only to the degree you want...no unwanted "detours" when you jump on them or merely hold them a little too long in an arc.  Definitely the slice-and-dice slalom cheater so many people like on the groomers and squeeky-clean hardpack.  A pair of these in the right size (and they do have a few sizes) could be just the ticket to teach yourself that "Eurocarve" extreme carving technique, but be perfectly happy in the bumps and tight, firm terrain.  Spunky and fun, and you could rip through a recreational race course and lay waste to a bunch of more balky race skis, if the course was soft or tricky.  I was impressed with the Hart Attack.  Not for warp 9, high speed arcs unless you enjoy living dangerously. Hart may not bring this ski into full production next year, but get your hands on the ones in early stock this season if you want a really fast and quick jackrabbit ski with retro graphics.  Probably a collector's item in the future.

Analogies: (this ski is like...)

One of those tricked-out, urban Honda street racer coupes with the special ignition system, high-tech fuel injection, lowered suspension, flourescent light accents, 21 inch wheels with race slicks, killer stereo and "braap-braap" exhausts.  Fast, quick and really fun.  Just don't drive more than 100 or you'll find it wasn't meant to do that safely.

After Skiing These, I Want To...

Give a pair to my friends for their birthdays.

Self-Description of Skiing Style, Ability, Experience, Preferences:

Expert groomed-surface carver, "old-style" race inspired, "foot steerer" with fairly sensitive edging feel. Loves to hold long arcs with lots of pressure on the downhill ski (you know the type),  but also loves the feel of both skis on-edge leaving tiny railroad track edge tracks. Not an instructor, but 10 year coach for youth race team in New England (bulletproof is the norm).

By: e.edelstein  Posted: Saturday, March 1, 2008 12:44:44 PM

The Blue Phoenix was the consumer stand out of the day.  While I liked the fuelie boss much better for my style of skiing off the trail, this would be my on trail ski.  I could also see folks loving this ski.  It has a smooth blend of flex & edge. 

Just a fun carver that rewarded & never punished a back seated turn or forced skid or jam.  This is the type of ski you can feel good about b/c it maske you a better skier.  Supportive yet firm.

Good stuff!

By: iriponsnow  Posted: Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:39:49 PM

ExoticSkis.com
No Ski Ads.
No Affiliate Marketing.

Several companies provide discounts or donations to support our ski testing program.

We can choose any poles. We choose Leki. They never fail & last for years.

Boots are the most critical element when testing ski behavior. We can choose any boots. We choose Dalbello and Salomon.

Distinctive team outerwear.

Halti is our choice to stay dry and warm when testing in Nor'Easter storms.

Green Ice Wax is our choice for non-fluoro, eco-friendly waxes.
Smith is our choice for head and eye protection.

Northern Ski Works is our choice for shop work and bootfitting.
HELP SUPPORT
EXOTICSKIS.COM